The Te Arawa COVID-19 Response Hub was established within hours of the Alert Level 4 Lockdown being announced on 23 March 2020, with marae, hapū, health and community organisations across Te Arawa coming together and mobilising to support whānau within the Te Arawa rohe.
An innovative data programme was established which enabled the hub to reach isolated and at-risk whānau and identify the support required by collecting, collating and coordinating data and information. The information gathered continues to be invaluable for future kaupapa and reaching our whānau in times of need.
In November 2020, Te Arawa worked alongside the Ministry of Health to co-design and support a field trial of a contact tracing card in Ngongotahā. The commitment from the local community is helping support efforts to find an equitable contact tracing solution for Aotearoa.
The one-week trial was rolled out across Ngongotahā and received great engagement from our locals which helped support the governments efforts trying to find an equitable contact tracing solution for Aotearoa.
Te Arawa supported the trial to protect the rohe and to support contact tracing abilities for Aotearoa, in particular those who are digitally vulnerable. A report is being prepared for Cabinet who will make further decisions about New Zealand’s future contact tracing options. More about the trial here.
The Hub’s efforts are now focussed on supporting the COVID-19 vaccination drive in our rohe to ensure our people have accurate information to make an informed choice for their whānau.
We know this ‘new normal’ continues to have its up’s and down’s, so it’s important to know there is still support available if you need it:
- For financial support, contact Te Arawa Whānau Ora Collective (07 213 1995) or Work and Income (0800 559 009)
- For employment support, contact Employment New Zealand (0800 20 90 20)
- For health support, contact your GP or call Healthline on 0800 611 116 or 111 in an emergency. Don’t delay seeking medical assistance for ANY health conditions.
- For support with anxiety, distress or mental wellbeing, you can call or text 1737 to talk with a trained counsellor for free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- For business support, check out the Unite Against COVID-19 webpage.